Sunday, June 9, 2013

Pulled Pork (Cuban Style)

Here at my house we love us some good pulled pork!  While searching Pinterest I came across THIS recipe for Cuban-Style Pork Shoulder.  I have had Cuban Style pork at restaurants before and really liked it, so when I found this recipe I couldn't wait to try it!
 
I looked over the ingredients, and started searching the cabinets to see what all I had.  I did find that I was missing some things on the list so I improvised.  I don't like to have to run to the store everytime I want to cook dinner, plus it can be costly.  I only go grocery shopping once a week so I try to cook with what I have on hand.
 
Take a look at the original recipe and see what you have, if your lucky you will be able to make it as originally stated.  This is my version:
 
 
 
1 Pork Shoulder Roast
1 c Hot Water
1 Chicken Bouilon Cube
2 Oranges
2 Limes
2 tsp Oregano
1 Tbs Cumin
2 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Crushed Red Peppper
1 Tbs Garlic Salt
1 Tbs Onion Powder
2 Tbs Vinegar
 
The original recipe called for fresh Onions and Garlic.  I usually have these, they are staples at my house!  However, it was not time to go to the grocery yet, so I didn't get the chance to restock before trying this recipe.  After making this, I highly recommend that you have these two fresh ingredients before trying making this.....it will make a tremendous difference!
 
I also substituted the chicken broth by using the bouillon.  Ok, now on to the process:
 
1.  In large bowl (big enough to fit your roast) add one cup of hot water and 1 chicken bouillon cube.  Whisk around until the cube is completely dissolved.
2. Collect 2 tablespoons of zest from the oranges and limes and add to bowl.  Squeeze juice of both oranges and both limes into bowl.
3.  Add in the 2 tablespoons of vinegar.  And whisk together.
4.  Add in all dry spices, and whisk well to make sure none of it clumps.
5.  Rinse off your roast really well, score the top rind, then place in bowl .  Turn several times to coat.
6. Place in fridge over night to marinate.
 
 
My roast had the rind still on the top.  A lot of people may cut this off but I prefer to leave it on because it helps to seal in juices.  If you cut  it off, I suggest saving it.  Freeze it and you can use it to flavor any kind of beans.  My husband likes it in his green beans.  You take it out before serving but it gives lots of flavor.
 
I let my roast marinate one full day, turning it several times to coat well.  I prepped first thing in the morning and put it in the oven first thing the following day.  I placed it on the center rack at 225 degrees, rind side up, uncovered.  Through out the roasting process, I basted it with the juices several times as well.  After 7 hours, I turned the oven up to 300 degrees for one last hour of cooking.
 
 
When all was said and done, this is what came out of my oven!  Yum!  I removed the rind and any excess fat.  Shredded the meat (pulled pork style of course) and added the pan juices straight into it.  It was divine!
 
As I said before, use all the fresh ingredients you can!  It will make a more flavorful meat.  Mine turned out just fine and was delicious, but I do regret not having the fresh onions and garlic.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 
 
 
 


 

A Mommy's Blog Design Friday Blog Hop

3 comments:

  1. Mmmmm ... definitely a must pin!
    I love pulled pork anyway but I'll have to try with your recipe.

    Thank you for linking to Raising Imperfection.
    Please come back Friday to see if you were featured. :)

    ¤´¨)
    ¸.•*´
    (¸¤ Lanaya | xoxo
    www.raising-reagan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum. Pulled pork is one of my favorite foods!


    Thank you for linking up to Raising Imperfection!
    Make sure to check back on Friday to see if you were featured.
    Leslie
    www.violetimperfection.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!! I think I might just want to lick the screen. lol. Thanks for the great idea!!

    Stopping by & now faithful follower from You Like Me! Friday Blog Hop. Have a great weekend!
    -La'Shawn
    http://march2december.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...