Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dough Boys (recipe)

 
It is tradition in my house for me to cook breakfast every Sunday morning.  And this is a family passed down recipe that is always a hit at my house.
 
Dough Boys!!!
No hidden meaning behind the name.......its as obvious as it can be!  
 
This simple recipe has been in my family for years.  It started out (as far back as I know of anyways) with my Great Grandmother.  She was an Algonquin Indian that migrated to  Maine, United States from Canada at a very, very young age.  When she got older she  married a Frenchman and I believe there was 17 children all together.  Can you imagine trying to feed 17 kids????  This recipe Im guessing started out as a cheap way to feed everyone because all it is bread. 
 
So my gg made it for her kids, my grandmother made it for my mother, my mother made it for me, and now I make it for my kids!  A recipe as old as this surely has to be good, right??
 
 
Now, back when my gg was making it, she probably made the bread dough from scratch but as time has passed, we have started using premade frozen bread dough loaves.  Less time and less mess.  Sometimes conveinance  can make or break traditions, and this recipe is a perfect example.  If I had to make the bread dough from scratch I probably wouldn't make this as often as I do.
 
 
Deepfried!!  Yes, this is not the healthiest of meals by todays standards but you cant always have your cake and eat it too right?  Every now again, you gotta break the rules!
 
 
To make these, you will need 1 frozen bread dough loaf, butter and oil.  Yep, that's it!  Simple as simple gets!
 
In a large bowl (the night before)  butter your entire bowl and the frozen dough.  Place dough in bowl, cover with a paper towel and set it warm place to let dough thaw and rise over night.
 
When you are ready to cook the next day  spread flour down on the counter and roll out your dough.  Cut into squares and put a slit in the middle of each square.
 
Preheat your deep fryer or pan of oil.  And fry up these babies!!
 
We like to put butter on ours while they are still warm, and eat just like that!  You can also spread them with Jam or Jelly as well.
 
Simple recipe for simple folks........but these beat doughnuts any day in my house!


5 comments:

  1. Visiting from Ahola Friday. I'd like to invite you to my Friday Flash Blog, where you can share your best blog entry of the week! The party goes on ALL weekend at thejennyevolution.com. And who knows, you may just get featured next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I just linked up! I have a linky going on too for the next five days.......you should stop by and link up! http://unravelingends.blogspot.com/2013/07/all-things-baby-linky-party-1.html

      Delete
  2. I haven't had a homemade doughboy in years!!!!! (except the malasadas I made). My grandmother use to make these all the time with, pizza dough, shaken in sugar when finished......mmmmmm,yummy!!
    I added you to my G+ circle, and am following you back on BL. Thanks!
    Kim @ *Soliloquy Of Food & Such*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had them in sugar! My mother used to use canned biscuts though and put those in sugar......I love those too!!!! Thanks for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you enjoyed this! I have never thought about going pizza style! We grew up with it as breakfast, but I bet it would be great with marinara! I will have to try that. Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...