Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Make a House a Home.....from Scratch!

  I just want to start off by saying that I love do-it-yourself projects!  So, when it came to remodeling our newly aquired home, I completely insisted on doing everything myself.  I have visions of what I want things to look like, and expect them to turn out as so.  I can be pretty anal too, so others helping me usually doesnt work out so well. 

  When trying to decide on what to do with the living room, I scoured the internet for a month straight looking for inspiration and came across this image on pinterest!   I already knew my trim was going to be white, and with original hardwood floors, I needed a paint that was gonna give me color but still keep that nice neutral flow.  The color in the picture is Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.  Now, even though I loved, loved, loved this picture.......I didnt want to be a copy cat so I didnt run out and get this exact color, but it was the perfect inspiration that I had been searching for. (original link from pinterest for the image is http://pinhomeideas.com/2013/01/07/described-as-the-best-paint-color-ever-benjamin-moore-revere-pewter-3/ )
 
We got our house for a really great price, but with that discount came alot of work!  To be nice, lets just say that the previous owners were not professional painters, or drywallers, or carpenters.....etc.  So brace yourself for the next picture because it is the BEFORE image!  Yikes!  Im almost embarrassed to share it!
 
 


   So are you digging all that black trim yet or what??  Yeah, thats what I thought!  This one room took me days to fix!!!  A little advice, never ever under any circumstances paint with black if you ever intend on changing colors.  I tried several different brands and products to try and cover it up but it still took me 2 coats of primer and 3 coats of white paint.  Such a long process, I didnt think I was ever going to be finished!


As you can see, the red was not too easy to cover either.  This picture was taken after two coats of primer.  It almost came down to a sledge hammer!  No joke!  I have to say though that after everything was said and done the troubles of it all was so worth it.  I love my new living room, and the satisfaction of knowing that I did it all myself!  And the finished product..............................


  The search is now on for some new decor!!!   Time to hit up the thrift stores!  And dont mind the ancient boob tube........I think were getting a flat screen for Fathers's Day...*wink*wink*

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. My goodness! What a transformation. I can only imagine the work. We have redone about 7 houses in 32 years of marriage. I don't wish it on anyone, but we have had a wonderful journey. Life never stays the same. Look forward to more of your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Your living room looks amazing now and you never would have guessed that you were covering up those before colors. Our home seems to be the exact same way, we bought it at the very end of 2011 and I am still picking paint colors, working on projects, redoing trim work, you name it. The previous owners wanted to do everything themselves but unfortunately, they were older and a lot of the things in our house are just like yours (they definitely shouldn't try to find jobs as contractors lol).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...