Monday, October 14, 2013

Our Fall Harvest: Pears

Ok, so harvest maybe a strong word to use in our case but.......it is what it is....just not a lot, lol!  We were unable to get a garden in this year, being that this is the first year in the house, but the property did come with a pear tree of its own.
 
 
And with that lovely Pear Tree........came .............yep...Pears!!
 
 
Some were small and others were miss sharpened.....and a lot.......just had too many bad spots.  We did manage to collect enough to do a little baking with though. 
 
 
We tried out hand at some crock pot pear butter.  It turned out great, my only regret is that I didn't buy a pressure cooker prior to making it.  I would have loved to store some up, but with all the kids around here, it will not go to waste.
 
 
Pear pie anyone??  Strange how it tastes just like Apple pie.
 
 
And my favorite thing that we made was this French Pear Cake!  Oh, it was the absolute best!  It has a hint of lemon and fresh pear chunks......I wish I had the recipe to share with you, silly me didn't save it to my computer.  I will have to do some searching for it.......it truly was amazing!!
 
I cant wait till next year when we put in our first garden....there is nothing better than growing your own food.....well, except maybe eating it.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...